I got a new electronic organ to play with! This one is a Wurlitzer 4500. Around the end of 2016 a relative spotted a big, old electronic organ in a local thrift store. After I checked it out the next day -- to make sure it worked at least a little bit -- the family jumped into action and a couple hours later it was in our living room! The design dates to the 1960s, and while I can't find a manufacturing date on this particular organ, I think it was made in the 60s as well. This organ model was one of Wurlitzer's first forays into entirely solid-state electronic organs. They made a few different models in the 1960s with the same innards, and what I have is a 4520, with a nice curved console. It has two 61-key manuals, a 25-pedal pedalboard, and about 23 sound-producing stops in total.
In a previous article I described how I built an FDM 3D printer using mostly wood and hand-tools. At the end of that process I had a working 3D printer, but just barely. The first things I made with the printer were parts to improve the printer itself, essentially 'pulling myself up by my bootstraps' to a better and more functional printer. This article describes that bootstrapping process.